Sunday, May 21, 2006

Ankahee--THE UNTOLD



At last…..YES…I watched a movie after two long months in a multiplex.Since my flat mates don’t watch bollywood movies as in their own words, it destroys their sanity,I had to sponsor one of my friends for the sake of company. I decided to watch “Ankahee”which ultimately turned out to be a good one(For me,sad part was Aisha Takia’s absence),though quite a few people who went there to watch a fleshy show by Eisha or Indian basic instinct were disappointed and had to return back after intermission!!

Since I like watching movies on relationships and this movie has been woven around complex relationships, I was just lost in the movie till the very end. One more USP was that is a newer version of 1980’s classic movie Arth…...true story of Mahesh Bhatt’s life.

Ankahee ---A tale close to ace director Vikram Bhatt's heart is Aftab,Amisha and Eisha Deol starrer.This movie is inspired from extramarital affairs of the director Vikram Bhatt (portrayed by Aftab)and miss universe 1994 Sushmita Sen(played by Eisha Deol).You can call it an art movie of the current era so go and watch this ONLY if you like to watch those sort of movies.Here I present how I perceived Ankahee from my eyes and brain...…

Movie starts with Vikram Bhatt dedicating it to his daughter Krishna and a beautiful song. Dr.Shekhar(Aftab) is having a lovely wife Nandita(Amesha) who was having a career before marriage but leaves everything just to become a caring housewife..

You are a professional interior designer,why don’t you start it again with your previous employer…...says Shekhar

In reply,Nandita says

I just want to design my own house…after getting married,I am on a vacation of a lifetime.....

Shekhar enjoys small things in life and is very happy with her daughter Sheena and wife Nandita .....until ...….Miss World(Miss universe in real life)Kavya (Eisha Deol) arrives in his life. She tried suicide by cutting her veins…...not happy with life....is suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder…alone and very sad and enters into movie with a striking piece….

Doctor, I am neither in hurry to live nor to die.. take your own time!

Dr. Shekhar gives her medical as well as emotional attention too and Kavya starts taking things too seriously. Her persona and pain attracts Shekhar who in spite of having a sweet wife falls for it. And this shows how weak and vulnerable as a person was our Dr.Shekhar…

Once she becomes fit, everybody in hospital takes her autograph but she takes autograph from Dr. Shekhar....

Look, your wound has heeled says Shekhar
Doc....wound has not heeled,it is now invisible for outside world..replies Kavya painfully

Trapped in Her brutal love, Shekhar starts deviating from reponsibilites…..but sometimes he does care for his daughter Sheena. It’s an irony that his wife Nandita who is completely dedicated...….physically and emotionally towards him fails in her each bizarre attempt to save her man…...being a weak and confused man, Shekhar gets completely entangled…...and frustratingly…...some day he yells on his wife..

Why you are always nice to me?Why my happiness,my choice is a priority..don’t you have your own life..what good I have done to you?
Because..You are my husband…says Nandita innocently

Movie moves ahead with slow pace and ultimately,Shekhar leaves his family to stay with Kavya….even after warning given by his friend that Kavya can never be satisfied. ..

Peak of movie,according to me comes when Shekhar talks to Nandita on phone about divorce and she just runs amongst heavy rain to her previous employer at night

Do you still have the vacancy?
Yes…but how come you here at this time!!
Thank God…now my daughter is safe


This pure love can only come from a mom……

After the divorce,Shekhar fails to generate confidence in miss world that he has forgot about his family and inevitable happens…..at last….depressive Kavya suicides saying

This life has been a failure….I will have to try again

Here I will end my commentary.Don’t watch this movie if you are looking for a fast pace rib-tickling movie.Comic scenes are almost absent…Starts lightly but ends on a very serious note…could have been little shorter…

Watch this movie for a stunning performance by Eisha Deol…for the complicated human relationships…for three beautiful songs…for few superb dialogues…for a newer version of classic Arth ....for Vikram Bhatt and Sushmita Sen’s almost true story….and of course...to know what kind of movies I preffer!!
A 3.5/5 according to me though times of India has given 2.5…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok....as hv not seen the movie myself....cant rate ur review as such...but still...it sounds good about the film..i think..will watch it soon..!!