Saturday, April 22, 2006

I OFFER MY SOUL TO YOU !

While on my way to office today morning, I saw a handsome guy,in his mid twenties crossing the road.Unique thing was …he was not alone. His injured hand, being carefully held by his mother and mother as watchful as ever was protecting him from traffic anamolies.This made me write something about my biggest fan(I am not talking of fans on Orkut) and critique as well ---My own Mom .

Accroding to a popular Indian belief, if a lady had length of feet thumb smaller than the index finger, she is dominating in nature. Well….that’s why my grandmother had a glitch while saying YES for the marriage. And even after 27 years of their happy married life, my mom had never ever tried to dominate dad(except when needed).Now I
can say to all these blind beliefs----GO TO HELL….leave my countrymen who still believe in these shameful objects of utter disdain!

During the first five years of my life,I called her “Ammi”…probably couldn’t pronounciate mummy . Ammi is not even a graduate but her concepts in math and logic are rock solid. I still owe my skill of basic math to her. I learnt multiplication and division, even before many of my classmates started addition!

Then most painful moment came when I had to leave her to stay in city for my education. She was left back in village to act as caretaker of Haveli and old grandfather.Me and Dad visited at week ends and I really waited for that. Every night I missed three things: 1)Her stories…Dad often used to come late
2)Fresh food…I was surviving on insipid food prepared in the morning
3)Bundling of my long hairs which she did efficiently…Dad was a rookie for that

So invariably, I wept at nights and counted number of days remaining to meet my Diva.

Finally after five long years, Ammi joined us…and I just can’t explain the happiness. Everything started to fall in it’s place.So from then onwards, we stayed together, unless I got the job. She did every thing which I guess any Ammi in the world would do for her children like accompanying you to the doctor whenever you are sick or always enquiring about the status of academics or night outs for her feverish son. This is a non-exhaustive list……….Few interesting incidents which come to my mind are::

While watching Star movies

hai Shastri! Tumko kaise samajh aa jata hai ye sab,itni tej tej bolte hain Angerezi
(How come you understand their English, they speak very fast)

While watching the movie Charlie’s Angels
Arre Bhagwaan,Kuch toh sharam karo….kya dekh rahe ho inn adhnangi ladkiyon ko
(Shame on you watching these semi naked girls!)
And then she changes the channel to listen Morari Baapu(spiritual orator)……and asks me to do the same!!!!

While chatting to Rajni, the girl next door

Hmmm,bahot baatein ho rahi hai tum logon ki aajkal(You guys are talking too much these days)

While taking a look at my cell phone when I was at home last holidays

Who is Madhu?
Arre,He is a collegue..his name is Madhusudan..pyaar se Madhu bolte hain
mujhe mat sikhao…I want to meet HER when I will come to Bangalore,bahot call kartee hai tumhe

Poor Madhu…my Ammi wants to meet you…..hahahahaahahahahaah

Apart from all the funny incidents listed above,she is the one who can do anything to protect me. Recently heard, for her atheist son,she took some five kilometers long ,barefooted walk..in order to please Hindu Gods so that her son starts paying some respect towards them! She started taking interests in movies and cricket matches just to please me.On my last visit,I gave her DVD of movie “Iqbal” which she liked very much.

Now-a-days,she is suffering from severe backache and staying 2500 kilometers away ,I can not do much for her accept..

Mummi,jitney bhi paise lagein…AIIMS,Apolo ya Sanjai Gandhi mein dikha lijiye
Don’t bother about the money factor,visit best possible hospitals

Beta,Aur kya de sakte ho tum mujhe” what else can you offer me

“My three credit cards,two debit cards,ummmm my Reebok shoes and FM radio”

ye sab nahi chahiye mujhe” I don’t need all these

What else I can give you Ammi…..I have offered everything which I love…..
Ok… Take away all my writings
Take away all my books
Take away all my knowledge

I feel it's still not sufficient….I offer my soul to you Ammi…that’s the least I can do.

Love you Always……..and Missing you terribly

Dedicated to all the moms in this World…..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saurabh, you are really the best. It shines as water for a man on the desert for several months!

Keep writing!

One idea: Write something about one of your dreams!

Namaste,

IO.:

Anonymous said...

yaar..tune rula diya aaj...ek to yeh sab likhta hai..aur phir padhne ko bolta hai..anyways..
u hv started flowing wid ur emotions..on paper..!!

Saurabh said...

Thanks Sudhanshu..

Really it's a touching comment..not much to say

Anonymous said...

It is a brilliant and sincere effort.

H. Tebazile said...

Great, my new friend!
Good words.
Bye!
Beth.

Abhik said...

Lovely, Saurabh! Very well written. Very touchy and wonderfully written. I don't have too many words to express my feelings.

Mayank Pathak said...

Small but great piece of literature! I love this piece. Its all about an atitude so common yet much less frequently expressed.I wish every son had similar passion for his mother.
Congratulations once again! and I wish Saurabh continue in this outstanding passion.Cheers buddy!